- Volleyball, the game played with an inflated bladder and a high net was invented in 1895 at Holyoke Y.M.C.A.Gymnasium in United States of America by a Physical Director William J. Morgan.
- Its first name was ‘MINTONNETTE’ which was later named as Volleybal by Dr. A.T. Halsted of Springfield College because the ball had to be volleyed with hands from one side to the other.
- ‘International Volleyball Association’ was formed in 1947 with its headquarter in Paris (France).
- The first World Volleyball Championship was held in 1949 at Prague.
- Thr first Asain Volleyball Championship was held at Tokyo (Japan) in 1955 (India beats Japan in the final.)
- The Volleyball Federation of India was formed in 1950.
|Some important measurement in Volleyball|
|Length of Court||18 meter|
|Width of Court||9 meter|
|Weight of ball||250 -260 grams|
|Circumference of the ball||65-67 cm|
|Net||1m (+/- 3cm) wide and 9.5 m long|
|Net’s height||2.43 m (for men) and 2.24 m (for women)|
|Ball Internal Pressure||0.40 to 0.45 Kg/cm|
Some important terminology in Volleyball :- Antennae, Attack hit, Back zone players, Dribbling, Libero, Front Zone players, Blocking, Smash, Rotation, Boosting, Net fault, Volley Pass, Forearm pass, Service, Hook serve, Set up, Referee etc.