- It is believed that Football is also British origin. However, it is said that a game similar to Football was played in 500 BC by the Greeks of Spart and they called this game ‘Harpaston’. The first football club of the world ‘Sheffield Football Club’ was founded in the year 1857 in England. Football was introduced in India by the Britishers in 1848 and the first football club of India was ‘Dalhousie Club’. The indian Football Association, the oldest football association in the east, was formed in 1878. The Apex institution of football is ‘Federation of Internationale de Football Association’ (FIFA), which was formed by sever countries on May 21, 1904. The headquarters of FIFA is in Paris (France). In order to distinguish this game from carrying cum kicking game i.i Rugby, it was given the name of “Soccer”. This name was given to this game (Football) by an association named London Football Association which was formed in 1863 in England. The Football World Cup, organised by the FIFA, is the biggest competition.
- Football was included as a competitive game in Olympic Games officially in 1908.
- India took part in the world Olympic Football Competition in 1948 in London.
- Besides Olympic competitions, World Cup Football Championship were planned by two Frenchmen i.e. m jules Rimet and Henry Delaunary.
- Jules Rimet was president of the French Football Federation and remained president of FIFA from 1924 to 1954.
- The first World Cup was organised at Monte Video (Uruguay) in 1930.
- The Trophy for this championship was named as “Jules Rimet Cup”. This trophy became the permanent property of Brazil, as this country had won the world title third time (1958, 1962 and 1970).
- From 1974 (Xth Championship of Germany) onwards, the trophy was named as “The FIFA World Cup”. This was a new trophy cast in 18 ct. gold.
- In India Indian Football Association (IFA) organised National Football Championship.
- The trophy awarded in thier competition is called Santosh Tropyy, which was donated in the memory of Manmath Nath Roy Chaudhary of Santosh (now a part of Bangladesh)
- Durand Cup tournament was first organised at Shimla and is being held in Delhi since 1940.
- A new chapter was added to the annals of the country’s (India’s) soccer with the launch of the Football Players’ Association (FPA) of India in Kolkata on August 13, 2006.
- FIFA announced (in April 17, 2007) an assistance of $1 million to Indian football by launching ‘Win in India with India’ project that will initially run for a period of four year.
- The All India Football Federation (AIFF) has started the ‘Goal Project’ in Manipur and the second was launced in Delhi.
World Cup: Football
|1942||Cancelled (2nd World War)||–||–|
|1946||Cancelled (2nd World War||–||–|
|1974||West Germany||West Germany||Holland|
|2002||Japan & South Korea||Brazil||Germany|
|Some Important Measurement of the playground|
|Length of the ground (Field)||91 to 120 meters|
|Width of the ground (Field)||45 to 91 meters|
|Weight of the ball||396 to 453 grams|
|cicrumference of the ball||98 to 71 cm|
Some Important Terminology in Football :- Abbey, Dribble, Extra time, Full back, Half back, Striker, Centre, Forward, Penalty kick, Free kick, Scissor kick, Goal kick, Direct kick, Corner kick, Referee, Tie breaker, Hat trick, Hand ball, Sweeper, Back, Throw in, Hand-ball (Fault), Touch line, Place Kick, or Kick off, Direct Free Kick, Indirect Free Kick, Tackle, Off side, Sliding Tackle, Drop Ball, Sudden death, Penalty shoot out etc.
FIFA World Cup Football – 2006
- Started June 8, 2006 in Munich (Germany)
- Final Match held – July 9, 2006 in Berlin
- Winner – Itlay
- Runners up – France
- Third Position – Germany
- Total goals scored – 147 in 64 matches
- Golden Boot Award Winner – Miroslaw Cloze (Germany, 5 Goals)
- Golden Ball award Winner – Zinedin Zidane (France)
- Lev Yasim Award for the Best Goalkeeper – Gianluigi Buffon (Itlay)
- Zillet Award for the Best Youth Player – Lukas Podolski (Germany), (The award goes to the player born on or after January 1, 1985, who makes the biggest impression at the World Cup)
- Fair Play Award Winner – Brazil and Spain Jointly.
- Brazil made a record of winning eleven consecutive matches in the World Cup.
- Itlay became the second country after Brazil to win World Cup Football four times.
- Andriyo Pirelo of Itlay was given “Man of the Match Award” of the final Match
- For this world cup twenty two Referees has been appointed by FIFA.
- Ronaldo with scoring three goals in this world cup, made a record to score fifteen goals in various world cup championships.